The weather here in NY has been having its typical bi-polar swings as we enter the spring season. Today it clocked in 70 degrees and was a beautiful glimpse into the days to come. Oh how I’ve missed the SUN!
The good news is Spring is only 28 days away (says this countdown clock) and it’s also the Lenten season for those who follow the Christian faith. Whenever this time of year comes around I participate in a spiritual practice with my church which does include fasting, but this yearI was also inspired to add in a practice of drinking a green smoothie a day until Easter (April 1). Whether this idea was divinely inspired or not, I committed to go with it because a green smoothie is always a good idea!
Ever since I got the Vitamix a few years ago with the intention of making healthy smoothies for my family, I’ve been feeling a tad bit guilty about neglecting this huge investment and not using it as much as I vowed I would. Anyone else???
So I asked myself (as if I were a health coach client) what it would take for me to commit to making a green smoothie everyday? What were the obstacles? And what is an easy way to make this happen as soon as tomorrow?
I had a few obstacles in my way. I have a tendency to get overly excited and ambitious in wanting to try different recipes – whether it’s a smoothie or dinner. I don’t like to repeat recipes too many times – each meal is an opportunity to cook and eat something new! This is great, IF I had all the time in the world and if my family were willing to put up with all my exploring in the kitchen ALL the time. I’m also a busy working mom and student taking online classes, SO being efficient is key to keeping this ship afloat.
So, I discovered I had to reduce decision fatigue and make ONE recipe and stick to it. One that would be easy enough to even memorize and sub in for different leafy greens. Much like the famous story about how President Obama wore the same color suit every day to save time in the morning and reduce “decision fatigue” I had to find the blue suit I didn’t have to think about choosing and spending mental energy. And second, I needed to make this smoothie in bulk so I didn’t have to prep and break out the blender daily.
I decided to go with the infamous “Glowing Green Smoothie” a recipe developed by nutritionist and all out inspiring human being, Kimberly Snyder. This smoothie comes up in health and wellness circles a lot and for good reason. Just look at the amount of veggies packed into this smoothie! And it tastes delicious without being too sweet – won’t be sugar crashing on this one.
My toddler helped prep and dump the greens into the Vitamix and helped himself to a serving and even helped me with mine!
Grab Glowing Green Smoothie recipe by Kimberly Snyder below and join me for the challenge! Drink one green smoothie a day until Easter! (April 1). Comment on my Instagram if you’re going to try this out! We could be accountability buddies, the key to success!
The Glowing Green Smoothie®
Servings: Serves: about 4 servings
- 7 cups chopped spinach (about a medium bunch)
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce (about 1 small head)
- 2 cups cold filtered water
- 1½ cups chopped celery (about 2 medium stalks)
- 1 medium apple, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium pear, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium banana, peeled and cut in thirds
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro (stems are okay)(optional)
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley (stems are okay)(optional)
- Combine the spinach, romaine and water in a blender and begin processing on low. Gradually move to higher speeds and blend until smooth.
- Next, add the celery, apple, and pear, and the cilantro and parsley (if using). Lastly, add the banana, lemon juice and ice (if using), and blend until smooth. Serve at once or refrigerate, covered, for up to 2½- 3 days.